Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Matte Drugstore Eyeshadows

Every once in a while, I notice I start doing different things with my makeup.  I'll go for something darker, something more neutral, or something brighter.  Recently I've been going more matte.  I've been leaning away from my cream blushes and shimmer eyeshadows for a more natural look.  A lot of people prefer matte makeup, but matte makeup is harder to make when trying to pull off the soft, pigmented powder products consumers expect.  That's why matte makeup is so rare in the drugstore; however, with my new adjustment I've found 3 really great matte drugstore eye products.

Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Eyeshadow Pencil in Continuous Almond

This is a new drugstore release from Jordana, a company I previously associated with old school Wet N Wild - inexpensive but also sub-par.  However, their new products have been really impressive.


There are a couple of colors of these eyeshadow sticks, if you want other matte shades I know they carry a matte brown and black, but I didn't think I'd get much use out of those colors as an eyeshadow base.  This one in Continuous Almond is what I've been sticking to almost exclusively since I bought it.  The product is similar to NYX's Jumbo Eye Pencils in size and texture.  It applies very easily, it is creamy and doesn't tug.  I much prefer these to NYX's eye pencils because these have not creased on me once.


The color reminds me of Mac's Painterly paint pot.  It's a neutral beige color that comes very close to my skin color, so it's a great base for my eyes.  It's very opaque, I find I actually tend to sheer it out before applying eyeshadow on top of it.  Since it's not shimmery, unlike my Maybelline Color Tattoo in barely branded, I feel like I can use this under matte eyeshadows.





Wet N Wild 8-pan Palette in Drinking A Glass of Shine

This palette has been limited edition, re-released, released with new collections, etc.  It consists of 4 neutral matte shades and 4 colorful shades.  The 'eyelid' shade in the right column is very orange, so I consider it on the colorful side.  This palette has a lot of options.  The colors range from very neutral to very bright to very dark.


 Like all other Wet N Wild eyeshadows, this palette is amazingly pigmented, especially because these are matte shadows.  The texture is very soft as well.




Revlon Colorstay eyeshadow quad in Addictive


This quad is not entirely matte, but is one of my favorites for a very minimal, simple, natural eye look.  From the top left going clockwise:  the first shadow is a matte beige color with glitter.  The glitter really worried me at first, but once you get it on it is not noticeable.  The second color is a matte grey/beige.  This shade really walks the line between the two colors.  This one is entirely matte.  The third color is a satiny taupe color.  When all of these are worn together, this color really brings attention to your eyes.  The fourth color is a standard matte brown.  This color is a bit on the darker side and is a very warm brown.


When swatching these colors, they feel very dry.  They're still pigmented, but they do feel dry.  They lack that softness that the Wet N Wild colors have.  However, once you apply these on top of a base, they turn up with all the pigmentation you could want.


No comments:

Post a Comment